How to create, customize, monitor progress, review and share the Review cycle in Plai.
🎥 Here's a quick video on how to do it:
How to create a Review Cycle
To create a Review Cycle, you need to have the HR access level (edit access levels in People menu item).
Go to menu item Reviews, tab Manage. Press "New review cycle"
Configure the cycle params:
- Name (how the review will be called) and Introduction (text reviewers will see before writing the review).
- Participants. Who will be under review (Recipients) and who will review them (Reviewers).
- Pro tip: select the checkbox "Include self-evaluation", and all recipients will be asked to write the review for themselves.
- Questions. Define what questions would you like to ask the reviewers.
- Question types:
- Open-ended questions.
- Scale questions. Ask for comments (optionally).
- Make the question optional or required.
- Question types:
- Start date: when the review will start and all reviewers will be notified to write the reviews.
- Deadline for reviewers. The reviewers will receive automatic reminders 48, 24, and 4 hours before this deadline. But they will be able to submit the review even after the deadline (until the HR "Shares" the results for all).
- End date. When the review will move to "Finished". It affects only the status of the review.
- Visibility. Select who would be able to view the review results.
- The recipient.
- The review recipient's direct manager (she/he will see the review results of their Direct Reports in the tab "Reviews → Direct reports").
- HR admins. If selected, HRs will be able to view the responses and calibrate them.
- View modes "Anonymous" and "Non-anonymous" available for all options.
- Schedule the cycle. Set it to start automatically on the "Start date"
⏰ The review cycle will start automatically on the "Start date" that you specified. Or, alternatively, you can click 3 dots next to the review name and press "Start now" to start the review cycle immediately.
📝 You can edit the cycle details (all of the above) until it starts. It's not possible to edit the cycle that is already in progress.
🙌 Pro tip: you can "Copy cycle", to quickly duplicate the review and all its configurations. It's useful for the reviews that are repeating or if you want to change only a few params.
How to monitor the Review Cycle progress
As an HR, go to tab Reviews → Manage.
Click on the review cycle row that is in the status "In progress". You'll navigate to the "Review cycle progress screen".
On this screen you can see:
- The list of participants and the status of their responses.
- Not started - Gray.
- In progress - Orange.
- Submitted - Green.
- No response - Red (if the reviewer didn't submit the response and HR shared the review results for the current recipient, the reviewer won't be able to submit the response any more).
- If you, as an HR, has permission to view the Individual response, you can click on the user icon to view the response.
- When at least one reviewer submitted the response, you will be able to press "View" to write the combined results.
- You can monitor the Progress - percent of reviewers that needed to submit the response (taking into account self-evaluation, if it's present in the current review cycle).
- You can "Send reminders" - send friendly nudge email 📩 to reviewers to submit the response (if they didn't submit it yet). You can do it for the individual row or to all participants.
- Calibrate responses. As an HR, if you have permission to view the results, you can also calibrate the responses. To calibrate the response, click on the user icon to view the Individual response, and click the "Calibrate" button.
- You can always view the original answer on the left.
- You can edit any answer on the right. You can edit them multiple times.
- All other users will view only the calibrated response, not the original one (if you calibrate it).
- Note: you can calibrate the response only before sharing it. After you share the results, you cannot calibrate it anymore.
- Share results. As an HR, you can share the results. According to your visibility settings, all users that have the permission will be able to view the results (these can be the recipient, his/her direct manager, HRs).
- ☝️ Note: You cannot "unshare" the results once they are shared. Review the results before sharing.
How to write responses as a reviewer?
As a review, you'll receive an email asking to write responses when the review cycle starts.
You can also view all the reviews where you participate in the tab Reviews → My reviews.
Press "Write reviews" (or "Continue writing") to start writing the review.
You will see all the recipients that you need to write the review for in the left sidebar.
Safe any text as a Draft if you didn't finish your response yet (it also saves automatically when you navigate between the recipients. Note: drafts are visible only to the author.
Monitor the status of the individual responses on the review card.
How to view results when shared with me?
As a recipient
As a recipient, if the review results are shared with you, you will be notified by email (and receive the link in the email).
👀 You will also be able to find all your review results in the tab "Reviews → My reviews". You will see a button "View your results" on each review cycle card where your results are available.
By pressing the "View your results" you will see the combined results from all participants. You might be able to see it in the Anonymous or Non-anonymous mode (depending on the review cycle visibility).
🖨 You can also download the review results in PDF (button "Export as PDF") if you need to print the results or send them to someone else.
As a manager
👀 As a manager, you can see your own review results in the "Reviews → My reviews" tab.
You can view the review results (when they are available) of your direct reports on the tab "Reviews → Direct report's" by pressing the button "View results" next to the name of your direct report.
As a manager, you will also receive an email notification when the review results of someone from your direct reports are available.
As an HR
👀 As an HR, you can see the review results of each participant when you open the "Review cycle progress" by clicking on the review cycle row in the "Reviews → Manage" tab. Click the button "View" to view the review results.
If you take part in the review as a regular review participant, you can view your results on the tab "Reviews → My reviews" as a regular user.
- Intro to 360 degree feedback reviews
- 3 types of employee performance reviews to get you started
- Top 7 mistakes to avoid during performance reviews
❓ If any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.